An Elegant Georgian
Country Mansion

Kinmount House is a beautiful, Class A listed early 19th century mansion, located in Dumfries and Galloway. It was designed by Sir Robert Smirke for the Marquess of Queensberry and completed in the 1820’s.

Kinmount House was sold to Edward Brook, a wealthy British industrialist (and current owners Great Grandfather) who owned the adjacent Hoddom Estate in 1896. He went on to commission alterations and extensions to the house by Dumfries architects James Barbour and JM Bowie including roof balustrades, urns and the courtyard to the northwest of the house.

The house was used as a hospital during the First and Second World Wars. The gardens of Kinmount House are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland and are described as “A very attractive parkland and woodland designed landscape, forming a spectacular setting for the category A listed Kinmount House. The scenic and nature conservation qualities are high”.

Main House

Kinmount is a large principal stately home with formal gardens and grounds, ornamental lakes and aviary and a stable yard nearby. Designed by Sir Robert Smirke for the 6th Marquess of Queensberry and completed in the 1820’s

Sir Robert Smirke RA (1 October 1780 – 18 April 1867) was an English architect, one of the leaders of Greek Revival architecture, though he also used other architectural styles. As architect to the Board of Works, he designed several major public buildings, including the main block and facade of the British Museum, Royal Mint, Somerset House, Covent Garden Theatre and many more including churches, castles, public and private houses. He was a pioneer of the use of concrete foundations.

The house is constructed of polished ashlar sourced from the cove quarry, at the nearby Kirkpatrick Fleming. The roofs are a mixture of slate and concealed flat roofs. Its main features include symmetrical but not identical elevations, a large cupola, sash and case single glazed windows of varying height and width, roof balustrades and an Orangery on the south side.

A member of the Historic House Association